Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Deep Thoughts, Not by Jack Handy

I was walking around projection tonight when my thoughts began to wander.
I started thinking about the Universe.
I know the Earth revolves around the Sun, and Sun is twisting around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy..... But where is that going? The whole galaxy is bound to be moving too.
Scientist often examine the light rays from stars really far away to determine whether they are moving toward us or away from us.
I have never questioned this, until tonight.
How could some be moving toward us and others away from us?

If the Big Bang caused everything to travel away from a central location, then everything we could possibly see at this time should be traveling at pretty much the same speed as us. It is possible that the differing distances are based on radial expansion, but something just does not add up.

Someone asked me once a question that has stuck with me.
Imagine you are there, at the Big Bang. You survive the blast and are traveling through space in this new ever-expanding Universe. You are on the edge of this blast, on the edge of this universe, looking out. What do you see?

Whenever I think about things like this, I just have to assume that this is just another way for Science to try to confuse society. To me, it is much easier to believe a Supreme Being placed all this stuff as He or She saw fit. The science just does not make sense.

Does any of this make sense?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Wright said...

If I remember correctly, most scientists believe and can give proof that the universe is expanding and all of the galaxies are moving away from each other. I cannot remember where and when I read this.

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Matt said...

Proof?
I thought all of this was theoretical.
Still, that would make more sense. Though, it seems to me that there should be some that *appear* to be stationary since they should be moving the same speed as us and in the same direction.
There should be some that appear to be moving a whole heck of a lot faster than others.

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home