Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Legend

She was the most unique ferret anyone I knew had ever seen. Even the vet had never seen a ferret so wild.
She had unknown origins. There was no record of her birth. She had no markings from any breeders. She was a complete mystery.
She was the best pet I have ever had. She was very violent, though. This made her quite interesting. She dominated her territory. Any creature that trespassed on her territory had to answer to her. She would typically send them running off crying.
When she was not on her territory, she still dominated. She would scare off any animal that came near her. She never ran off from a fight. She always won. She was very protective.
Since I was on her territory, I belonged to her. She would attack anything that came near me. She was my best friend.

She seemed to live a happy life. She did not play with any of the normal toys ferrets would usually like, though... she did very much enjoy plastic bags. That was about it. I loved playing with her. She would make the cutest noises.

She used to ve chubby. She was very healthy. Even still... that would not stop her from running around and playing.

If I had known months ago that she had cancer, I would have tried to get her treated... even though there is not a good chance of survival. The cancer ate through her tiny little body very quickly. Sadly, it made it to her lungs before the cancer was even diagnosed.
I knew something was wrong when she wouldn't eat a raisin.
She did not have the strength to eat. She tried to pick up her food, but she couldn't chew it.
I gave her some nutrical, but that did not help her much. She was on her way out.

I cried when the doctor recommended putting her to sleep. It was the first time since I was about 4 that I can ever remember crying in front of people. I spent a few minutes with her as they were preparing things. She looked to be in a lot of pain. She was struggling for every breath. I went through a lot of tissues.

She arrived at the vet's office in a blue pet carrier. She left in a brown cardboard box.

Today, I prepared her for her burial. I held her in my hands one last time. What I knew of her life flashed before my eyes. She was very cold. I had never felt her cold before. I could barely hold back the tears. I will no longer be able to see her scampering through my house. It was a difficult moment for me.

I placed her inside of her little drying sack. It was the most comfortable thing I could think of to put her in. I then tied it up and sealed it inside of a ZipLock-style bag. I then put that inside of the bag the vet had placed her in, then sealed that up inside of another ZipLock bag. I placed everything inside of the box and sealed it up as well as I could. I thought about painting over it with like a plastic coating, but I did not have anything available.
I then wrapped the box in a trash bag, then wrapped that inside another trash bag.

I went outside to start digging a grave for her. As soon as my shovel hit the dirt... the bottom fell out of the sky. I tried to stay out there a few more minutes, but I just couldn't. I was out there long enough to pick a different spot for her, though. The spot I start digging had tons of roots. The second spot did too, but I decided to stick with it.
I originally wanted to bury her outside my window. Unfortunately, a gas line runs along that spot and I am not exactly how far away from the house it is. That just seemed dangerous.

It was the hardest hole I have ever had to dig. Both because of all the blasted roots, and I kept thinking about how I was never going to see my precious Gibbet again. I don't think I will ever find another ferret like her.
I loved her so very much.

I placed her at the bottom, then I paused for a few moments to just... reflect.
I then started the process of filling the hole. I patted down the dirt every few scoops so that it would be very difficult for another animal to try to dig her up. I then marked the spot with a piece of a concrete block. I may eventually create some little shrine or tombstone for her in that spot.

Alas, the task is complete. I must now move on. The memory of Gibbet lives on.
I can no longer say that my bedroom is guarded by a cute, yet vicious attack ferret.

I will miss you, my precious Gibbie-Gibbet.

September 22, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home