Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Questionable Things

Though, I had not intended to post about this at all, I think I will add it to the top...
How the HELL did Hamas win elections in Palestine?
Are those people just.....stupid or something?
So long, Palestine. It was nice knowing you. You just screwed yourselves over, though.

Ok, something else I question...
"Reggaeton Kids".
It is an album I have seen for sale in commercials every day for the last few weeks. I guess that's what I get for leaving the TV on over night after watching [Adult Swim].
Anyway, it advertises itself as being a "cool, new album" with "12 tracks featuring the best of reggaeton beats". Every song in the commercial sounds exactly the same. Even more so than an Ace of Base album. I feel sorry for any kids whose parents buy that stupid album for them. I can actually stand Ace of Base. I like their music. I have never heard of Reggaeton, and... If I had to judge by this album, I'd have to say it is very stupid.

Next: Children's Pepto Bismol.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with the product itself. I love Pepto. I have not taken it since I was a kid, though. I even love the pink Chicklets because they taste like Pepto. Apparently, they have made a new version that is designed specifically for kids. What I question is their slogan. I saw the commercial during an episode of The Price is Right. At the end of the commercial, the slogan was posted on the screen as the announcer (narrator) read it aloud. The slogan was:
"Children's Pink. It does more than you think."
I do not know how that slogan made it by all the members of their marketing team.
Maybe I am just perverted or something, but one of the first things I thought of was the episode of South Park where they kick Big Gay Al out of the Scouts. They wind up replacing him with a child molester. The molester makes a comment about the kids saying that they are "all pink on the inside".
They should seriously rethink that slogan.

Next: Trojan condoms stated in an advertisement that "50,000 people a day get STDs in the United States".
For a split second, I did not question this statistic. Then I thought about it and realized it does not make sense unless most of those 50,000 people are repeats. If 50,000 new people a day got STDs, then in only about 1.6 decades, the entire population of this country would have STDs. Now, it may be true that 50,000 people a day contract STDs in this country, but it seems like they should mention the fact that the majority of those people have had an STD before. It seems to me they are trying to scare people into buying condoms. I have no problem with that, really, I just think it is a little weird.

Finally:
Profanity. It is very common in this society. Each day, we become more and more tolerant of such words. For the longest time, absolutely no profanity has been allowed in a "G-Rated" film. This included G-Rated trailers too. Yes, trailers have ratings. This is how they determine on what films a trailer may be played. Basically, you cannot play a trailer on a film with a lower rating. Adversely, you would not want to play a G-Rated trailer on an R-Rated film, it just might not make sense....unless it is a commercial or something. However, more and more objectionable content is allowed on commercials designed specifically to run on R-Rated films.
ANYWAY...back to the profanity.
It seems that in recent years, Disney has been pushing the envelope greatly.
I guess it "paid off", because now it is seemingly acceptable to have the words "ass" and "damn" in a G-Rated trailer. It is only a matter of time before these words make it into G-Rated films. Then, more words will make it.
Now...what I question is why this is happening. This is demoralizing society slightly. Eventually we will reach a point where it won't matter any more. Profanity won't exist. People will simply have a limited vocabulary. Carlin's list of 7 dirty words won't have any humor any more because every word will be acceptable.
Oh well...I do not know if I am making any sense, so I suppose I should just shut up.

1 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

did you know that the highest rate of people getting infected with stds are in their 50s. Because they think they are old enough to not have to worry about things like condoms.

8:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home