Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Eminent Domain Abuse

Ok.
I agree that the government should have the right to seize land for its own use. Building roads, military bases, whatever they can think of.

Though, I do see the point behind seizing land for private use, I still do not think it should be allowed so easily. In the past, if a company wanted land a person was on, they had to talk the person owning the land into selling it to them.
Now, the government can just "claim" the land and pay what they think is fair for it. This amount is usually very unfair.

What I suggest...
A grace period. This would have to be a nationally mandated thing, which is impossible because it would violate states' rights... but it is still fun to dream....
This grace period would basically involve forcing a time period between the time the government seizes land and when they are legally allowed to sell/rent/lease it for private use.
I'm thinking 10 years is good.
If they are seizing it for governmental use, then they would not have to worry about this. If they are seizing it to make a profit, then they would have to wait to sell it.

I know this sounds stupid,
but I think it is a good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home