Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

New Soda Powerhouses

Ok...so the American Beverage Association agreed to begin limiting the types of sodas that can be sold to public schools.
Their reasoning for this is to help curb obesity in younger people.
This is not their responsibility. Parents should be keeping an eye on their kids when they eat away from school, the kids should know to limit their intake when they are at school. If they don't know this, then they are not being raised properly.

The news interviewed some kids to get their opinions on this....and I was horrified at the responses I heard. "We're just going to stop coming."; "We need energy."
For one thing, if you are going to stop going to school because you want a Coke, then you have got some mental issues. If you need energy....EAT BREAKFAST! Morons.

Ok...now...to the title of my blog.
How does this effect anything? These kids are still going to eat and drink like crazy when they are away from school.
But still....

What is the American Beverage Association?
Do you have to be a member to sell beverages?
My guess would be No.

What is to stop a non-member from selling beverages to the schools that want them?
I am certain their are some schools that still want Cokes and Pepsis.
For instance, I went to a high school that had an exclusive contract with Coca-Cola. Wouldn't this agreement violate that contract? Wouldn't this mean that my old school could theoretically shop around for someone else to provide the drinks they want?

For instance...Let's just say that SAM'S decided to start providing drinks to everyone? Hmm?
What if Winn-Dixie started providing their brand to schools in this region? Who's to stop them? Is their a governing organization that prevents them from doing so?

How about Royal Crown? Could they renounce their membership to this organization and suddenly be catapulted up in sales?

This is just like when McDonald's decided to phase out Super Sizing. This royally pissed me off. I want a Super Sized Drink and a Super Size of Fries! This seemed like the stupidest idea ever until I gave it some thought. The people that were going to overeat anyway...would just buy more food. McDonald's was going to make millions on this idea.
What did I see 3 weeks later? The "Two Big Macs Meal". Yeah...that's healthy.

I would say that people should stop trying to run our lives....
but I personally do not really care on this issue.
I rarely drank Cokes while I was in school. I was, however, a fan of Sprite. It is sugary, but it lacks the caffeine. However, I did eventually start drinking Diet Sprite, Diet Coke, and Diet Dr. Pepper. I had no problems with these.
In middle school...I drank Unsweet Tea.
In Elementary school...I drank Milk and Juice.

....
These kids should not be complaining. Ungrateful brats.

Yeah, this post makes no sense.....
but neither does this idea. So....we're even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home