Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

To Build, or Not to Build?

What's the question?

Ok...so here's the deal.
I went out today to check local prices on computer components. I saw some cool cases. I saw some nice parts.
I also decided to see if I could find some memory for my laptop. Long story short, it seems no on in Mobile sells what I need for that.
Anyway...
I made the mistake of walking into the computer section of Best Buy. Yes, yes, I know the whole store is pretty much computers. I am talking about the section where they display PCs and such.

Then...it happened. I saw a computer that I thought was super sexy. It was a Gateway. Now...I never EVER thought I would be attracted to a Gateway.
As I walked down the aisle...I noticed another one...
an HP system.
It was beyond sexy.
I had to pull myself away from it to keep from buying it.
It had everything I wanted to put into the computer I want to build, plus more.
The only drawback is that it came with Windows MCE. I do not know anything about that operating system. It probably isn't a big deal at all.

Well...I pulled myself away.
I went to some other places to check on prices for parts.
I tried to head over to Tech Advanced...but they moved...
So I tried again....and succeeded.
I perused their collection. They had some pretty cool cases.
I also looked at their motherboards. Kinda hard to read the details on the box when it is locked up.
Oh well....

I had to make a pitstop, so I headed home.
I set up my PS2 for my little nephew to play. My niece is afraid of me. She associates me with Gibbet, and she associates Gibbet with lots-and-lots-of pain. Malina loved me until that fateful day. Now she jumps up and runs if I walk in the room while she is coloring.

After a little while, I was pondering things and decided, "It's about time I got a new computer desk." So, I went to Office Depot to try to price some, but they were closed. I decided to see if Office Max was still open by chance, but no.
Well..Office Max was near Circuit City, and I haven't been there in ages, so I decided to head over and check things out, and yes I realize this is a run-on sentence.

I was walking through the store when...what....what is that on the end of the counter?
What? The same computer I saw at Best Buy? Oh no.... It's pulling me in.
It was actually a tad more expensive at Circuit City, but came with a $100 rebate...so I guess that makes it cheaper? Counting the rebate, it's cheaper by about $65.

Thoughts started running through my head.
"Ok, if I get a corner-style desk, get a 19-21" LCD monitor, and the computer...I can just put it where I keep my entertainment stuff now, and totally rearrange my room. I can move my bed by the wall, and put Gibbet's cage in the corner by the window. Then I can move the Chest-of-drawers to where Gibbet's cage is now and place the bookshelf next to that. I could probably move them both down some and put the DVD stand right next to the computer."
Then...it dawns on me that I totally forgot that the first thought was that the bed would be where Gibbet's cage is, and there would be no room on that wall for the other items, so they would have to go on the other side of the room. That would be ok...because with the introduction of the new desk, I can get rid of the old desk. I can put the the shelves in the other corner.
There are so many ways I can pull this off. I just don't know.

So...I started seriously crunching some numbers.
Yes...I want to build a computer...eventually.

Building the computer with the same components.... would cost me a whole heck of a lot more than just buying it outright right now. The catch? Building it would allow me to extend the cost of the computer over several months and buy the new components when I please. The drawback of that situation would be....I would not be able to immediately use the computer.
So I supposed this all boils down to whether or not I want instance gratification, which I do.
However...I am not going to buy the computer and bring it into my home without a proper playplace for it... I have to buy a new desk first.

Buying the desk would require that I do some serious cleaning and organizing of my room.
Still...though...I kindof digressed from the crunching-numbers section.
If I were to buy the system from Best Buy...it would be financed for some unGodly length of time. This does not really matter, since I would be paying way more than the minimum each month anyway. Still though, they would charge like...22% interest if I could not pay it off within 3 months.

Circuit City has a different plan with a much longer no-interest period. I find that awesome too.
Or...I could wait another 2 weeks and just buy it with cash. Problem? What if that same system is not still available? And what if I have other expenses?
The pay-over-time deal seems pretty good.

Yes...I know...I know... financing is bad...
But you should have seen this system.
It makes me want to just buy it.

I have not used credit in 2 years.
All of my credit cards are locked away. The ones that expired...I did not renew.
I pay for everything in cash.

I just realized I did not finish the crunching-numbers section.
Basically...I figured out that...even if I WERE to finance it...even from Best Buy...
it would still cost less than buying all the pieces and building it myself.
Drawback? No sense of self-satisfaction.
I shall still have to eventually build one of my own.

On a different note.
Anyone know a good way to hang posters and wall scrolls on plaster walls?
I have so many built-up posters and scrolls.... They just want to hang on the wall!
Why shouldn't they? Now they are just collecting dust in the various places in which they take up space now.

Oh well.

Man that computer was sexy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Wright said...

Quite a lot of pondering there. Come by sometime if you want and we can talk parts ;)

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home