Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Phrases I Hate

I was driving home from work when I started thinking about some flea medications I was looking up earlier. I remember checking out "Advantage" on some website. They do not have the option for Ferrets, but my book says that Advantage for Cats should work fine. It is about $45 for a 4-pack, for the "Over-The-Counter" version of the medicine.
Thinking about this made me question the phrase "Over-The-Counter".
The first thing to pop into my head was the commercials I tend to see for some medicine called "Prilosec OTC".
Apparently OTC is the best way to go.
......
but......
THINK about it now.
"Over-The-Counter" is the phrased used to describe any medicine one can buy without a prescription.
This phrase makes absolutely no sense.
"Over-The-Counter" SHOULD be used to describe the medicines you buy with a prescription.
Prescription medications are the ones that must pass over that counter at the pharmacy. All of the non-prescription medications never actually have to pass over the counter. You can go pick them up off the shelf, walk to the register, pay for it, and leave.
I officially hate the phrase "Over-The-Counter".


This posting starts a series. Any time I think of or come across a phrase or word I hate, I am going to hopefully remember to post about it here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing.

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home