Favorite word = "Flibbertigibbet". Meaning = silly / flighty person. Phlibbertigibbet = Me.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Phantom Computer

There is a computer in my attic.
I found it today when I was looking for some of my old portable storage drawers. I need some more space for the new jeans I have been getting recently.
I really needed some. I have not purchased new jeans in many many years. They are all too small.
Anyway...I do not know where this computer came from.
I want to hook it up and see what the deal is.

I looked at the back of it, it has some of the spare parts in it I had just sitting around the house in various places. I guess my cousin must have put it up there. But why? Does it not work?
I know it is old..probably only a couple hundred megaHertz. Though, if it works, it should make a perfect unit for me to test out Linux.
Plus, it has my old TV Tuner card in it. I wonder if I would be able to find some drivers for Linux, then perhaps a program that would let me record stuff.
MAN...
too many thoughts.

First step, though, is to hook it up and see how it works.
That shall require a few items.
Power cord, keyboard, perhaps a mouse, and definitely a monitor.
I may have to temporarily borrow some of that stuff from my mom's computer.
Whatever the case may be, I have a project to which to look forward.
If it works well, I may head over to goodwill to see if I can find a cheap monitor, then see if I can get it set up permanently.

...It takes very little to excite me sometimes.

I work tonight and tomorrow night, but I think I am off Tuesday. That should give me plenty of time to get something done.

Also, I need to go ahead and hit 60 on WoW. I should be completely rested all the way there by now. It should not take too long.

I've rekindled my love for Age of Empires.
I started playing AOE2 the other day (AOK). I do not have the Conqueror's expansion. After playing for a bit, I decided to see if I could find AOE3. I found ran across the demo for it and downloaded it. It was like, 400+Megs.
My computer is technically not capable of playing the game as per the minimum system requirements.
It let me know that when I first started the game.
Something along the lines of "You need a 64MB card to play this game. You have a 32MB card. Do you want to try it anyway?"
I chose yes.
The game is actually pretty cool
I cannot wait to try it on a machine that can run it well with all the graphics options turned up.
MUST...GET...BETTER...PAYING...JOB....
SO...I...CAN....GET....BETTER....COMPUTER.
I played AOE3 all day yesterday. From 8:15am to 4:41pm, then I went to work.
It is an addicting game.

Anyway, I should probably end this post now.
Thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian Wright said...

Cool, kc and I love to play AOE maybe we need a game night. Plus, i have procured 200+gigs of anime while i have been up here, so maybe some anime nights as well.

Depending on the computer specs, you should be able to make a mythtv linux box out of it. Kenny has done some work with that but i'll gladly help I have a few linux discs around.

5:18 PM

 
Blogger Matt said...

Heck Yeah! AOE Party!

I have a Knopix CD. I tried it on my laptop; it ran well.

I just want to actually INSTALL it on a computer to see how well it runs from the hard drive.

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Brian Wright said...

i'm not certain, but the version of knoppix we ran for the ACM competition used the command "install 4" at the book prompt in order to install onto hdd. Not sure if its the same with the regular knoppix distro but i'm sure it would be easy to find out.

8:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home